Sunday, December 6, 2009

Working smarter not harder ...

Learning is more than just knowing about new tools - it means using and applying what you learn. So obvious right? When we learned about RRS feeds coming in to Google Reader, I added a couple of subscriptions to classmates' blogs, put them in a folder and thought "that's going to be useful." But since then I haven't used my Google reader much. I have been checking classmates blogs by going to Alice's blog list and opening each blog to see what's up. Yesterday before class I had one of those "ah ha" moments. I though "why didn't I put the blogs for everybody in my class into my Google Reader and then check Google Reader?" That's working smarter not harder. So this morning, I spent about 30 minutes doing just that. That way I can keep tabs on what everybody is doing and keep in touch after our class ends. I am realizing that this class has given me new tools (which I expected) but more importantly it has exposed me to and connected me with a very global learning community for both my personal interests and my professional development. I had an inkling of this but never thought I would spend my evenings reading blogs!

4 comments:

jweinstein said...

I have been getting to folks blogs by going back to the original assignment page! Perfect example of learning something but as you pointed out, not applying the learning. Seems we are sometimes creatures of habit. It is such a significant observation that I might never have gleaned if not for taking time out of planning for school and skipping over to our class musings.Have a great week.

janny kerkhof said...

Hi Ginger,
Great idea! I have made several EPC512 blogs part of my Blogroll and my Google Reader but will also bookmark all in Delicious. I agree, it's a great way to stay in touch after class adjourns. We have such an amazing group and should continue to support each other!
On the topic of "Working smarter, not harder" ... I spent hours yesterday setting up a Wiki for my final project. I ran into a number of annoying formatting issues such as text and spacing disappearing, not lining up just to name a few. I also needed to figure out the Wiki hierarchy, what links to what and where and found out the hard way what "redirect" means. I deleted the "page manager" widget and am having trouble finding the default "Home" page. I want it back and e-mailed Wiki tech support to come to the rescue. Alice explained in class that Wiki has a mind of its own and can be clunky when you stray from Wiki defaults - I have found religion!
In selecting a blog medium for my final project I was on the Blogger/Wiki/Ning, play-it-safe or take-a-risk fence. On Saturday I jumped over the fence into the unknowns of Wiki. Too late in the game to look into Ning and too lame to go back to Blogger so I'll carry on... In the meantime I'm creating content pages that I'll link when I figure out how to.
Hyperventilating? A litte. Talk about "Working harder to work smarter!"
Janny

gingerraspiller said...

@jweinstein - Glad you happened by during your musings! Have a good week!

gingerraspiller said...

@janny kerfkhof ~ oh no! I think you can revert to a previous version and get your home page back. Click on Recent Changes - it is right above where your Manage Wiki widget was - and select an older version of the home page. You can always link new content pages after the fact. Hang in there - you'll figure it out it! You'll know so much more about Wikis by Saturday!

Who is accessing my site?

Camping at Cobscook Bay State Park September 2009 (Using Animoto)