Monday, November 30, 2009

K-12 Online Conference Keynote Address

"Going Global: Culture Shock, Convergence and the Future of Education" by Kim Cofino

I watched Kim's keynote then I joined the K-12 Conference NING so I can participate in some of the followup discussions. The NING includes a map that is constantly flashing photos of all the members and where they are from. Amazing - they are from all over the world. Our world is truly getting smaller and we are more becoming more connected. I can't help but think (and hope) that this "connectedness" may change the way we - individuals and nations - deal with each other.
I am beginning to feel more connected. When I started this class I was focused on learning the tools and sharing them with staff and students. I wasn't thinking about my personal learning and my network. I am realizing - as Kim suggested - I need to build my personal learning network and be actively using the tools for my own learning. Then I will be able to incorporate the tools effectively and hopefully encourage collaboration and learning.

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

Hi Ginger,
The world is getting smaller! And I too need to grow my personal learning network. The site I built I shared with colleagues. They agree that it is easier to keep all our PLN docs on the site rather than e-mailing and paper copies. It's all just there.
Then today someone mentioned that this is also our evaluation portfolio. Those who are "on cycle" have to submit a portfolio. I think they should be able to submit a digital portfolio rather than print it all out. What are your thoughts?
Lorrie

gingerraspiller said...

Lorrie ~ Nice job on your presentation! Your google site is awesome. It will be a time-saver for everyone involved plus I imagine it will be easier to find information since it is all right there in one place and searchable electronically using the site's search feature. I agree with Bruce's comment yesterday about using this digital portfolio for those teachers who need to submit one for evaluation .. it is a no-brainer! If the state needs a hard copy, you can print one copy and send it to them. You have still saved a ton of paper by going electronic. What a great project!
Ginger

Who is accessing my site?

Camping at Cobscook Bay State Park September 2009 (Using Animoto)